Wales 3 Scotland 1

Despite a spirited second half Scotland lose 3-1 to Wales in their final game in the Hummel Centenary Shield at Colwyn Bay.

Scotland faced a tough task this evening in Colwyn Bay, facing a Welsh side who had defeated both Irish nations in their previous matches, scoring 7 goals in the process. A win for the Scots would see them finish the campaign in third position, following draws against the same two countries and a home defeat against England in the most recent fixture, at the end of last month.

The match started brightly, with both sides making opportunities in the first 5 minutes. Hogan and Markas had efforts saved by Scotland keeper Ethan Mitchell, whilst Lewis Downie’s header was clutched by Welsh goalie Calvalcante.

Wales broke the deadlock in the 7th minute. Mumtas made good progress after cutting in from the left and found Hogan in the penalty area. Hogan’s goal bound effort was brilliantly blocked by Harris Clubb, but the Scottish captain was unfortunate to see the ball fall to Mumtas who slotted home.

Wales open the scoring

Welsh captain Dean then had an opportunity to double the home advantage, but shot straight at Mitchell from inside the area. Scotland then tried to feel their way back into the game, and had a better spell of possession and play in the next 10 minutes. Nicholson was prominent in a lot of Scotland’s play, ably assisted by Cannon, Mason-Bone, Downie and Smith.

Despite this better spell, disaster struck in the 19th minute. Wales were awarded a penalty as Gibbon advanced past Carnihan on Scotland’s left and was then fouled by Miller as he sought to cover the full back. Haig made no mistake from the resultant spot kick.

Penalty to Wales

Again, Scotland looked to gain a foothold in the next ten minutes of play, just after a dipping volley from Brega passed narrowly over Mitchell’s crossbar. Scotland had an appeal for a penalty themselves as Nicholson tumbled in the box after a challenge by Welsh skipper Dean. Cannon was caught just offside; a move from Nicholson to Mason-Bone freed McGovern on the right but Welsh goalkeeper Calvacante was able to kick the cross clear. The ball then fell to Nicholson who watched his shot deflected behind for a corner.

This period of play had been punctuated by the substitution of Jamie Carnihan, who limped off after slipping awkwardly whilst stretching for the ball. He was replaced by Callum Hannah. A restructured back line might have been a mitigating circumstance behind the award of Wales’ second penalty of the evening. Haig burst into the area and went down under two challenges. He the dusted himself down to make it 3-0 from the resultant award.

Wales' Haig makes it 3-0 from the spot kick

Half time: Wales 3, Scotland 0.

Scotland pushed on Callum Gemmell for Lewis Downie at half time but referee Mr. Livesay was arguably the most involved man at the start of the second period. He booked Welsh full back McNamara for a mis-timed tackle, then turned away Scottish appeals for a penalty as Waugh’s cross caused chaos in the Welsh box and a scramble of sorts ensued: Hannah’s goal bound effort was blocked but nothing appeared untoward to the official.

Scotland then had a spell of good possession in deeper areas of the field, and tried to penetrate down the flanks through the efforts of McGivern, Cannon and Hannah who became increasingly influential as the game progressed.

Calum Hannah drives in on goal

Scotland made another change on the hour mark as Joe Prior was introduced for Aaron Nicholson. He announced himself immediately: a brisk shot on the turn was well saved by Welsh keeper Calvalcante. The keeper was alert again five minutes later firstly to swoop on McGivern’s low cross after good work by Gemmell. He then fired play immediately to the opposite end where Gibson ghosted past two defenders but shot wide.

Still Scotland had attempts at his goal: he saved well to divert a Smith shot wide after a quick corner. He then had a slice of fortune with twelve minutes remaining. McGovern’s intelligent run allowed Waugh an opportunity. His shot was well blocked by Bacup and Smith struck the base of the far post from the rebound.

Ricky Waugh's shot hits the post
Scotland finally found the net in injury time: Prior finished from close range after a powerful Hannah run down the left. The Scotland number 3 tried the same trick a minute later but his cross eluded three Scottish attackers in the penalty area.
Joe Prior pulls one back for Scotland

A night which proved that goals win games: Wales took their chances well and defended resolutely to set up a potential showdown with England as they look to keep the Centenary Shield in the principality; whilst Scotland will look back on a fair amount of possession and just failing with final balls on their conclusion of this year’s Hummel SAFIB Centenary Shield campaign.

Wales: Calvalcante, McNamara (sub Lucas Davies 57’), Bacup, Dean (c), Evans, Hogan (sub Webber 85’), Morlas (sub Pritchard ht), Haig (sub Duggan 71’), Gibson, Luke Davies (sub Morgan 85’). Unused sub: Willan.

Scotland: Ethan Mitchell, Jamie Carnihan (sub Callum Hannah 29’), Andrew Miller, Harris Clubb (c) (sub Ruaridh Cant 75’), Nathan Smith, Aaron Nicholson (sub Joe Prior 59’), Ricky Waugh, Nathan Cannon, Daniel Mason-Bone, Lewis Downie (sub Callum Gemmell ht), Jayden McGivern. Unused sub: Corey Armour (gk).

Scotland Starting Eleven

Scotland's Goal