Forth Valley Spirit Secures Semi Final Spot

Forth Valley 5 Aberdeenshire 3
Thursday 7 February 2019

A ‘Classic’ schoolboy match was served up at Ochilview. The small crowd who watched the SSFA National Under 15 Trophy quarter final game between Forth Valley Schools FA and their visitors Aberdeenshire SFA at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on Wednesday 6th February were treated to a great game of football played by two competitive, well organised teams who played skilful and well – disciplined football throughout.

The home side started well with good possession football that pinned their opponents in their own half.

From a corner in the ninth minute for the home team the ‘Shire broke on a counter attack and from the resulting corner Sean Mackenzie scored the first goal of the game as home defenders waited for someone else to do something.

Worse was to come for Forth Valley when a second corner floated to the back post area and Sean Mackenzie unchallenged headed home to score his second goal of the game.

Playing good football but finding themselves 2 – 0 down at home was not in the plans for Forth Valley but the team remained positive.

Keeper Thomas Elvin ( Bannockburn HS) made a couple or great blocking saves to keep them in the game and they then created a few chances and eventually converted when Jamie Auld ( Lornshill Acad) netted from close in.

His team mate Marc Kilgannon ( St Modans HS) rifled home an equaliser a few minutes later to draw the teams level.

Half time arrived with the scores tied at 2 – 2.

As the second half began the visitors also showed their great desire to win this cup tie.

Ten minutes into the second half they took the lead again when Scott Coull scored a simple but very effective third goal.

Behind again Forth Valley were back to square one but didn’t shirk from the challenge. Every player contributed in their efforts to pull level in a thrilling cup tie.

The team of match officials, referee Tom Cavanagh and Assistants Fraser MacKay and George Robinson were in control of the game and were helped by the sporting play of both teams.

Forth Valley’s Jack McAllister ( Alloa Acad) thought he had equalised only for the goal celebrations to be cut short with the assistant’s offside flag. A very tight call.

Forth Valley were not to be denied however and when Spencer Morland and Gavin Hamilton ( both Wallace HS) combined, a very good chance was created for Jamie Auld. The striker obliged with a tidy finish.

Morland, Hamilton and school mate Sam Metcalfe combined again moments later to create a chance for Marc Kilgannon who headed home for his second goal.

This was a great goal and significantly put the home team for the first time.

Aberdeenshire mounted a big push in the last ten minutes to find an equaliser that would take the game into a penalty kick shoot out but replacement keeper Kier Burt ( Dunblane HS) and a solid performance from all the home team defenders, Hamilton, Pincombe, Reid, Simpson and McWatt saw them stand firm.

Jack McAllister finally got his well – deserved goal when he spun to hit home a low shot to complete the scoring at 5 – 3 in favour of Forth Valley SFA. He was only one of a number of players who could have been handed a man of the match award.

The game ended with genuine handshakes shared by the players and coaching staff of both teams who all contributed to a classic schoolboy football match.

The result means that Forth Valley now meets Ayrshire SFA in the semi final.

The draw means that Forth Valley will be at home for this match which will be arranged for early March.

Share this post