Forth Valley 2 Dundee 1

Forth Valley Schools’ FA senior boys team has reached the final of the SSFA National Trophy, the inter association cup, for the second successive year.

Following a tight, well contested game on Wednesday 22nd March they narrowly defeated Dundee SFA by 2 – 1 at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir. They will now play against Ayrshire SFA in the final as they attempt to defend the title they won last year.

Strong windy conditions made it difficult for both teams in this semi final. Playing with the wind Dundee controlled most of the first half winning a succession of corners. The Forth Valley defence however stood strong with keeper Thomas Kay ( Graeme HS) dealing with all that came his way. Forth Valley lost defender Callum Scott ( Stirling HS) to injury but substitute Joel Sneddon ( Bo’ness Acad) slotted in with immediate impact. Forth Valley were guilty of mis – placing passes too often and would be glad to reach half time with the scoreline level at 0-0.

The second half saw Dundee cope better against the wind and they again were dictating play. Central defensive pairing of schoolboy international cap, Ruraidh Cant ( Dunblane HS) and Joel Sneddon lead their defence brilliantly and again keeper Kay showed great form.

Dundee keeper Lewis Haldane ( St John’s Sec) hadn’t really been troubled but there was little he could do to stop Forth Valley’s first goal. With twenty minutes to play, Calum Gemmell ( Dunblane HS) sent over a cross from a wide free kick. The schoolboy internationalist’s cross found forward Lewis McFarlane (Wallace HS) who’s header flew in at the far post to put Forth Valley ahead.

With five minutes of normal playing time left, FV substitute Rory Currie ( Balfron HS) had a great dribbling run down the left wing. His short pass found Calum Gemmell who fired home from ten yards out to increase his team’s lead to 2 – 0.

Dundee never gave up and Chase Scott Grove Acad) scored from close-in deep into added time.

There was only a few moments left in the game and Forth Valley saw this out to secure their narrow victory and their place in the final.

Both teams shared with each other, and the match officials, a respectful handshake at the end of a competitive and sporting game.

The final between Ayrshire and Forth Valley will be arranged soon by the SSFA.