Dundee first ever winners of Senior Girls National Trophy

An injury time equaliser by Dundee's Callie Bownam took the first ever Senior Girls National Trophy into a dramatic penalty shootout which Dundee won 8-7.

With the pace of development in girls football, last year,  the SSFA decided to launch the Girls Senior National Trophy for associations.  A total of 10 associations entered the competition, although three withdrew before the start.

Dundee progressed to the final with a 2-1 win over Fife in the group stage.  They beat Ayrshire in the semi-final.

Forth Valley drew 2-2 with West Lothian in the group stage and beat Paisley & District in the semi-final.

It was a very hot and sunny night at Ochilview Park, home of Stenhousemuir FC, for the final.

Forth Valley started the game on the front foot, facing a strong low sun. Inside the first two minutes they created their first chance. A long range free kick was played into the Dundee box. Forth Valley’s Bailey Black met the ball at the back post, but the Dundee keeper, Zoe Maclean, cleared the danger before she could get the ball under control.

Dundee keeper Maclean blocks the shot

It really was all Forth Valley in the first 5 minutes of the game. May Cruft and Elisha Duff were dominating the midfield and slicing the Dundee defence open with their powerful direct running. On one occasion May beat three defenders and had a shot from 25 yards out only to see her shot skim the bar.

May Cruft in action

In the eighth minute Dundee had their keeper to thank as she reacted first to a long ball played over their back line. Zoe raced from her goal and beat Forth Valley’s Bailey Black to clear the danger.

Dundee's Zoe Maclean clears the danger

A minute later Forth Valley opened the scoring. The ball is played into the Dundee box and Justine Strain smashed the ball low past the Dundee keeper from 16 yards out. A very well executed goal.

Forth Valley players celebrate Justine Strain's opening goal

You could now see the confidence growing in the Forth Valley side after the goal. They looked sharper and were moving the ball a bit faster than Dundee.

Dundee were attempting to get back in the game but were struggling to get into the final third.

In the 13th minute Dundee were awarded a free kick 25 yards out wide right of centre. Instead of playing the ball into the Forth Valley box the ball was pushed wide right, taken to the byeline before being cut back into the six yard box. Zara Carey in goal for Forth Valley rose to clutch the cross before it could reach any Dundee heads.

Three minutes later, Forth Valley created another chance. From a cross from a corner on the right Elisha Duff created some space before hitting a shot which narrowly missed the far post.

In the 19th minute it was the Dundee keeper once more to the rescue. This time racing from her goal to clear the ball before Forth Valley’s Justine strain could reach it.

Dundee were beginning to find their feet and start to create some attacks with the pace of Angel Low stretching the Forth Valley back line. However Rebecca Simpson was immense in defence blocking any Dundee attack and moving the ball away from danger.

One minute later the bar came to Dundee’s rescue when a shot from 30 yard out dipped at the final moment and rebounded off the bar. Maclean, in goal for Dundee, smothered the loose ball before any Forth Valley forwards could react.

The half finished with Forth Valley well on top.

Half-time: Dundee 0 Forth Valley 1

Dundee certainly started the second half very positively. Right from the kick off they took the game to Forth Valley. And in the 42nd minute their efforts were rewarded when a Forth Valley defender handled the ball inside the box and the outcome was a penalty. Georgie Robb stepped up and hit the ball low to the keeper’s right to level the score.

Dundee players celebrate Georgia Robb's penalty conversion

Dundee were now pushing to go in front. In the 55th minute Angel Low raced past two defenders before hitting a shot from 16 yards out which narrowly missed the target.

Forth Valley reacted to this pressure in the best possible way by scoring. In the 57th minute Vivienne Strain chased a ball played across the Dundee defence and hit the ball through a defender and keeper into the net.

Vivienne Strain celebrates scoring Forth Valley's second goal

Dundee pushed to get an equaliser, but a combination of good defending and poor finishing denied the Dundee girls.

Just when it looked like Forth Valley would be for first association inscribed on the brand new Girls Senior Shield, Dundee equalised. Deep into injury time the ball was switched from right to left and Dundee’s Callie Bowman stepped up and slotted the ball low past the keeper into the corner of the net. 

Dundee's Callie Bowman celebrates scoring her side's second and equalising goal

The players hardly had any time to celebrate before the referee blew for full time.

Full-time: Dundee 2 Forth Valley 2

Onto penalties which Dundee won 8-7 to become the first winners of the Senior Girls Shield.

The Dundee players celebrate winning the penalty shootout

Dundee: Zoe Maclean, Scarlet Brady, Beth Collins, Daisy Hutchison, Kiah Irvine, Maisy Stewart, Amalie Martindale, Katy, West, Angel Low, Emily Arthur, Clara Laing.
Subs: Charlie Creamer, Chloe Lord, Molly McDevitt, Georgie Robb, Vivian Kerr, Layla Dailly, Callie Bowman, Katie Maclean.

Forth Valley: Zara Carey, Alex Logan, Maddison Dunn, Rebecca Simpson, Emma Black, May Cruft, Vivienne Strain, Justine Strain, Elisha Duff, Bailey Black, Maddison MacNeil.
Subs: Lucy McNair, Abby McMillan, Lauryn McColl, Amelia Firth, Eve McQueenie.

Presentation of Shield

Forth Valley Squad

Dundee Squad