Braidhurst HS 4 Holy Cross HS 0

The teams from both Braidhurst HS and Holy Cross HS served up a special final in front of a large crowd of appreciative spectators at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on Tuesday night.

Braidhurst HS won the game 4-0 but any idea that this was a one sided final can be quickly dismissed. In a game of high quality the players from Holy Cross should rightly be proud of their efforts and play although they were finally beaten by a very good opponent.

Both teams started in an assured fashion, confident on the ball. It was Holy Cross who threatened to score first as Braidhurst had keeper Jack Brown to thank for keeping the ball out from under his crossbar from a corner after five minutes.

Paul Rough created a chance for team mate Seb Fisher but he slipped just before striking his shot and the chance was saved.

Braidhurst were also very much in the game but it took them 15 minutes to get their first chance on goal. After blocking a shot from Braidhurst’s Jason Bouchey, keeper Lewis McCarthy was grateful that his defence blocked the rebound.

Johnny McMichael then shot over after a great move between Jason Bouchey and Jude Henderson but the first goal of the game wasn’t far away.

In the 20th minute captain Jason Bouchey made a great run along the bye line and clipped a clever cross to the back post area where Cooper Penman hit home a terrific volley which gave keeper McCarthy no chance.

Braidhurst's Cooper Penman celebrates scoring the opening goal

Only five minutes later Braidhurst went two up. Keeper McCarthy went down at the feet of Bouchey and it was easy for referee Tom Cavanagh to point to the spot as he correctly awarded a penalty kick.

Johnny McMichael tucked his kick superbly in the corner and it was 2-0 to Braidhurst.

Jason Bouchey is brought down - penalty to Braidhurst

Before half time Bouchey again combined with Henderson before McMichael rolled the ball home from close range when Holy Cross couldn’t clear.

Half time: Braidhurst HS 3 Holy Cross HS 0.

Both team coaches made clever use of the roll on , roll off substitution system available and made sure that all their squad players were given a chance to play in the final. This did not diminish the quality of the game at all as both teams continued to play good football.

Holy Cross did their best to get back in the game with good play from Joshua Clarkson and Mark Connora setting up chances that didn’t quite bring a goal.

The Holy Cross players pushing hard to get one back

It was their Lanarkshire rivals who scored the fourth and final goal of the game after 15 second half minutes.
Captain Jason Bouchey overpowered his opponent on a 1v1 and from 18 yards fired home a spectacular shot to make it 4-0.

Braidhurst captain Jason Bouchey makes the score 4-0

Both teams continued to use their substitutes and continued to make chances. Holy Cross never gave up as the game approached the final whistle.

At time up SSFA Vice-President, Jim Bettley presented medals to match officials, Tom Cavanagh, Fraser MacKay and Stuart Johnstone who handled the game superbly. He then awarded runners up medals to the excellent Holy Cross HS side and then the winners medals and Scottish Under 14 Shield to the deserving Braidhurst HS team.

Braidhurst High School

Holy Cross High School

Shield Presentation